Saturday 1 November 2008

Happiness and sorrow

My mind's full of the Erotica show I'm doing in a couple of weeks but as well as that I've had a recent commission to complete. Its nothing to do with Erotica, and isn't in the slightest bit erotic in any way. But its been very important to do. Because its of a dead person. She died recently, and I was asked by her widower to paint his favourite photo of her. I've never met her, and had only a handful of photos to work from to produce the watercolour he wanted. And watercolours are always so difficult, because the slightest error will show, and I'd have to start again with a fresh piece of paper. So I painted the picture and was happy that I'd got a good likeness to the woman in the photos, but they were just split seconds of time when a camera has captured her expression. Did they capture her essence and soul as well? I framed the painting and took it along to the chap who'd commissioned it. It was wrapped up as I arrived, for transportation. I unwrapped it, and stood holding it to show him, and looked at him as I did it. As soon as he saw it, his face crumpled, and he said her name outloud as he burst into tears. I felt sorry for him, and told him so, but I also said it was the best reaction he could have given me. Tears! It meant I'd captured her. And I came away feeling warm within myself. That I have a talent to create artwork that evokes happy emotion like that. I feel that I've served my purpose. I'm sure he will spend long quiet and poignant hours looking at that painting, and remembering the happy life they had together. Sad memories, but happy ones too.

So that was a bit of sadness, but also this week I've contacted the woman whose fanny is Queynte 10, and told her I'd finished her painting. And was delighted at her response - tears of happiness! Wow! I still find it humbling the reaction my art has on people.


So, now I've just got to crack the secret of appealing to the visitors to"Erotica" !!!! LOL

12 comments:

nitebyrd said...

That's a beautiful story, Jackie. Yes, that is a reaction that an artist wants, whether it's tears of joy or sadness or a laugh, you know then that you've captured your subject. The painting is really lovely.

Nolens Volens said...

You jumped from #8 to #10. LOL

Constance said...

I didn't know her, but it was a lovely portrait that you did, Jackie. No wonder he is so pleased...

Indi said...

Crackin it Jackie? I don't think you'll have a problem. As for the dead persons picture, how wonderful that you captured this woman, I can almost fee the emotion for the man... well done you.

Jackie Adshead said...

Nitebyrd - yes, a positive emotional response is always a bonus for selling artwork, and I love it when it happens.

Jackie Adshead said...

Nolens volens - I'm glad someone is paying attention! Yes, you're right, it was actually number 8!!!! LOL

Jackie Adshead said...

Loving Annie - Thankyou.

Jackie Adshead said...

Indigo - Yes, I'm cracking it, thanks! And yes he was very emotional over the painting of her, it was very touching.....

Spiky Zora Jones said...

sweetie...thaat is a wonderful loving story. It touched me...too.

It is a wonderful painting babe...i love it.

take care babe...Ciao.

Trixie said...

I'm sure you'll have no problem with the erotica crowd!!

Jackie Adshead said...

Spiky - Thankyou, I'm glad you like them both...

Jackie Adshead said...

Trixie - I hope not! :)