Wednesday 2 December 2009

With loads of zeros

I had a chat with someone I've known for years earlier on. But he doesn't know me in the guise of an Erotic Artist and was surprised to hear that's what I am. Taken aback, but also intrigued and interested. Intrigued wiht my art, and interested to hear about my website. He said he'd take a look at it later on.

And he talked abit about art, and his interest in it. He's a painter. A painter and decorator actuallly, but he likes art too. He mentioned that he sometimes does work for an interior designer, who had recently been asked to deorate the place he was doing up with some artwork. He was given an amount of £10,000 to spend, and went to London to find the art he wanted. He came back with a painting for £7,000 and four or five lesser pieces to fill the walls.

This little story interested me.

The subject of the art wasn't mentioned.

And probably wasn't of interest.

What was of interest, was the price tag. The £7,000. And the fact he had to go to London to get it.

That was the importance of the tale.

That the person in question could AFFORD a painting for £7,000. It was making a STATEMENT.

And the statement was "I've got money, I can afford to spend ALL of this on art, I have taste, I am refined, I am elegant, and I'm going to tell you about it, so that you KNOW!!!!"

I understand that statement. I understand that a buyer wants to do it. I know I have the standard of work. But maybe my paintings are too cheap................maybe I should put a zero at the end of all my artwork. Or...........maybe two!!! :)

8 comments:

Aurora said...

nice...

Jackie Adshead said...

Aurora - thankyou

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Jackie: You make a good point. You have to re-evaluate your work. Think about how much work you put into it. Ask colleges just what they think of each piece.

Have you ever studied how Norman Rockwell started a piece of his art. It was complicated after he decided what he wanted...his models were wonderful and one thing he wanted to see from each model was..."can you open your eyes wide?"

My 5 year old niece did a piece of artwork with crayons. It is wonderful and reminds me of the Dutch impressionist painter Van Gogh's painting...Twilight.

later sweets.

Jackie Adshead said...

Spiky - Yep, I have to re-evalulate my work and find the places I can sell it at the prices that reflect that.

I didn't know that about Norman Rockwell - thanks for telling me.

I know the Van Gogh painting you refer to, and can picture the style of your neices drawing. I'm glad she's got an interest in art and know you will help her with it.

Real Live Lesbian said...

That's exactly what I think about both of us!!!! Add a zero! Some people think they get what they pay for...

Jackie Adshead said...

Real live lesbian - Yep, its perceived value - you can be too cheap! :)

nitebyrd said...

I've never been able to understand people that buy a piece of artwork because it's expensive. They have no heart.

Art has to speak to you and stimulate you, only then is it worth buying. It it moves you it can cost $1.00 or a million because if you can't stop wanting to look at it, no matter what the cost, it's priceless.

Jackie Adshead said...

Nitebyrd - I agree, I don't understand it either - having said that if someone wants to give me loads of money for my paintings I won't argue with them! :)

But its true what you say, art should speak to the heart and move you, that's the reason to want to own it.