Friday 21 May 2010

If it makes you sing

I've got a couple of exhibitons coming up in the next couple of months. I've already got some artwork ready for them, but like to have something new done as well if I can.

One of the venues is Sudbury Hall in Derbyshire, with a local art group. I'll be able to hang one or maybe two paintings there. But the people who are running the event have stipulated that some of the paintings should depict Sudbury Hall or some other similar property. That's fair enough, it means it raises their profile a bit more and means the artwork relates to them.

So, to that end, I started looking at pictures of Sudbury Hall this week. Its a really lovely old hall, but basically a flatish frontage oblong shape. The lawns at front and back aren't awfully inspiring. So, basically, its a box on the grass. Mmm..... I COULD paint it, but it won't inspire me much to do it! Nope. No matter how much I look at it, I'm not inspired to do a lot with it at the moment.

Ok, then. Rethink!

Ah, I know! ANOTHER old property. Now, where is there, that I like, and will inspire me to paint something I'm interested in.............

Ah, yes! I Knoooooooooooooooooowwwww!!!

Somewhere special. Somewhere different. Somewhere where I can put my own brand of magic and excitement into the dramatic image. Lots of colour, and hidden depths. A place of mystery. And excitement!

There's only one place that has all of that for me.........

Stonehenge!!!!

2 comments:

nitebyrd said...

Ooooo! Stonehenge would be an amazing place to paint! I'd love to see what magical things you could do with it!

Jackie Adshead said...

Nitebyrd - Yes, I think so too! I'll show you the painting soon....I'm pleased with what I've captured with the magic of the stones.